27 April 2008

Taking a bite out of the Big Apple!

New York was a blast! One of the things that surprised me the most is that it really does look just like it is depicted on TV: tall buildings, stores upon stores, city blocks, the subway, etc. I've posted some pictures, so feel free to check them out here and here.

I was very proud of my navigation abilities on the subway. It was definitely a unexpected perk since I tend to be directionally challenged. As a matter of fact, when I told my mom what a good job I did, she replied, "Really? That surprises me." Granted, I was fastidious about checking and rechecking the map, which did nothing to help erase the giant "tourist" stamp on my forehead, but we successfully maneuvered around town without getting on the wrong route.

Highlights of the trip:
  • Buying an "I love NY" t-shirt. Okay, this may not belong at the top of the list, but it is something I have wanted for a while and was pleased to get it for 3 bucks from one of those hole-in-the-wall joints.
  • Seeing what New York is actually like. Walking the streets, navigating crowds, seeing the diversity, etc.
  • Going to the Met. It is huge, and the time we spent there flew by. You could spend days there and not see everything. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the sampling I saw. Side note: I highly recommend audio tours at museums. They're great because you get added info that's not on the description plaque, plus you can walk around and look at things while still listening.
  • The subway. It's efficient, relatively easy to use, and fun. I'm sure the "fun" element would wear off, but for now I give it 2 thumbs up.
  • Broadway. It's probably a good thing I don't live in NY because I would want to go to plays all the time.
  • The hotel. Ahh, Hotel Chelsea. It is definitely not your average hotel: very boho chic.
  • The Young Designer's Market. I've decided that if you can spin me a tale about your product, I am much more apt to buy from you. For better or for worse.
  • Sightseeing. When I am in a new place, I have to admit that I go into tourist mode. I want to see the sights and do the things that brochures talk about. I take tons of pictures and have to recharge my camera battery every night. So imagine my glee at riding the double-decker sightseeing bus in New York. It covered upper Manhattan, downtown Manhattan, Brooklyn, Harlem, and more.
Lowlights of the trip (I had a good time, but there were a few less-than great moments):
  • Pillows at the hotel. The hotel changed our reservation from 2 rooms to a suite. That was fine - it was actually better for us to all stay together. Hooray! The room was great - very big, 2 (tiny) bathrooms, kitchen, piano, etc. As a matter of fact, according to the bellhop, Ethan Hawke used to stay in our room. However, we moved from 3 double beds to 2 double beds and pullout couch in the room change. When I called for linens and pillows to make up the couch, I was brought 1 pillow. I explained that I had 2 people for the couch and therefore needed 2 pillows. The guy sighed and said he had a hard enough time scrounging up the 1 pillow, but he would look. He called back and said that was it. He had given us the last pillow in the hotel. I think to myself: "How do you not have pillows in a hotel? Go to a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, yo. I guarantee you will need some." Anyway, there was a long pause on the phone. He said nothing; I said nothing. Finally he said he could bring us a rolled up blanket to use. Thanks. Special shoutout to Dixie: she was a trooper and used it. Still, I would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again.
  • Plane ride home. The flight was only 1 hour and 9 minutes. But thanks to the little family behind us, it was a long 1 hour and 9 minutes. Poor Katie had goldfish thrown at her. At one point, the mom and dad let their kids run around in the aisle. I did an impression of the little boy's whining voice when we deplaned, and the lady who had to sit beside them turned around and agreed with me. Ha!
  • Hocking my 2 extra tickets to Spamalot on the street. It was stressful, but at least I got them sold. I sold one of them to a guy named Vinnie. It was very "New York" until we found out he was from Mississippi.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

oh that's so funny!! i laughed out loud several times!

ReL said...

I love it! Sounds like you had a great time, I'm very suprised that the hotel ran out of pillows...
And my favorite part of the whole story? The guy named Vinny from Mississippi :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed New York! :)

When a friend and I were in Paris, the hotel ran out of toilet paper. For an entire day. ?????

Heidi said...

What a fun trip. I'd love to visit NYC sometime. Sorry about the plane ride..trust me though traveling with kids is not so fun for the parents either. :)

Post a Comment