14 April 2008

New Skills and Kept Fingers

This weekend I gained a new skill: soldering. Well, "skill" may be a bit too strong of a word. But I did it, and no one got hurt. I would consider that a success.

I was volunteering at an amateur radio convention, and there was a booth where you could make your own antenna. My mom, who was also volunteering, wanted one and asked if I could make it for her since she was busy.

It was not the easiest thing I've ever done. As a matter of fact, in moments of frustration, I kept telling myself that. First, I had to make cuts in a wire using the dullest razor blade ever. No worries - I managed to keep all my fingers! Then came the soldering. After a quick tutorial on how to use the soldering iron (my favorite rule: "don't touch this part - it's hot."), I got started.

I don't know yet if the antenna actually works, but we'll see. The soldering was pretty cool. Challenging, but cool. The instructor told me that I did a beautiful job on my first joint. Beginner's luck? Probably, but I'll take it!

It was actually somewhat fun. And maybe this can be a backup career. After all, let's remember the advice Robin Williams' father gave him when he said he wanted to be an actor: "Wonderful. Just have a back-up profession like welding." (Source: IMDb.com)

4 comments:

Heidi said...

1. Sounds like a fun adventure.I am so proud of you for trying something new. hahaha
2. Of course you're #1. You are the queen. ( you know of what) haha
3. I see I am at the bottom of your list!

ReL said...

That sounds like loads of fun! And I'm glad you kept your fingers :-)

Anonymous said...

Keeping your fingers is always good. :)

cozybldr said...

The yagi beam antenna was far easier to build than the J-pole IMHO. That said, the roll up antenna is great for vacations.
And don't be surprised if more hams show up since your Mom gave out the address for your blog last night on the repeater after the net.

:)

KB4TKQ

Post a Comment