13 April 2008

Judging a Book by Its Cover

You know how they say it's hard to judge a book by its cover? Let me tell you what is even more difficult: judging a movie by its DVD case.

Lately my roomie, Dixie, and I have been renting some movies with varying degrees of success. When you're walking around Blockbuster, it can be challenging to find a good movie. Sure, we've found some good ones, but we've also gotten some duds. Duds that were so bad, we could feel ourselves losing brain cells by the minute. That comment was for you, Michelle Pfeiffer. (Michelle, in case you read this: Please don't take it personally. But that one romantic comedy - I think you know the one I'm talking about - was not good.)

When you're looking at books, at least you can read a few pages before making a decision whether or not to buy/check it out. Not so with movies. Suggestion for Blockbuster: find a way to let customers check out a few minutes of a movie. Reading the back of the case is not sufficient; those writers can always find something nice to say.

4 comments:

melissa said...

The biggest clue for me is when the rave review is from some obscure guy in Minnesota. If that's the best review they got, assume it sucks. Which Michelle Pfeiffer movie was it? The one with Paul Rudd that went straight to video?

Anonymous said...

Netflix lets you do all that. For most of their movies they have previews and users can also submit their own reviews. It's awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry...I didn't mean to be anonymous there. ;) It's Susannah.

cozybldr said...

I am always surprised by how many movies there are that are absolute trash. Now mind you, I tend towards the sci-fi, fantasy fiction, and action films. But seriously, The Devil Wears Prada is supposed to be good? Please. I prefer Breakfast at Tiffanys or Under the Tuscan Sun.

KB4TKQ

Post a Comment