23 October 2008

Change it up.

We have a very casual dress code at work. Jeans are typical fare around the office, though sometimes I like to dress up to add a little spice to the mundane work week. This can result in compliments from my coworkers, which is really nice until the compliments turn into shock. Then I pause to wonder just how bad I must look the rest of the time.

Anyway: On Monday I was interviewing a job candidate, so I decided I should look nice. I was relatively pleased with my outfit for the first 45 minutes.

As the day progressed, I realized that I wasn't feeling it. My pants were too big and the cute cardigan was not working as I expected it to. Exasperated, I told my coworkers that I looked like a preschool teacher in an art smock. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I happen to be a big fan of both the art smock and preschool teachers. It just wasn't the look I was going for. I wanted, "Hi, I'm a professional. Let's see if you're right for the company." Instead I was feeling, "Johnny, please keep the paint on the paper and the brush out of your nose.")

When I expressed my frustration, Brandon (coworker), said, "Change it up." Brandon is a man of few words.

I thought, "Whoa. Brandon's right. If I don't like something in life, I need to change it up. It's in my control." (Obviously, this can apply to more situations than just the riveting wardrobe choices of Courtney.)

So Tuesday I came to work in what Ruth (coworker) called a "rocker" look. Yesterday I went alternative. Today...well, I don't know what I'm going for today other than to just clothe my body.

4 comments:

Ader Family said...

I LOVE that you spice things up in your wardrobe. I think it's fun to do that, but I've recently noticed that I don't have a lot of clothing variety... I may need to fix that.
You are my role model!
~Steph

Anonymous said...

I would love to read your second copy. I am going to be in Raleigh over thansgiving if you don't want to pay to ship it.
And I have totally been thinking about 'changing it up' myself, since most of my clothes are still from high school. sad, i know.

Tim said...

Friday? Halter top and running shorts! You go, girl! :D

Winters Wonderland said...

I like that! Change it up. When I go into my closet and don't like anything I see, I also try to get creative. Hmmm, what can I create today?

Post a Comment