A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called, retain that dear perfection which he owes. Romeo, doff thy name, and for they name, which is no part of thee, take all myself. –Courtney's recollection of memorizing Juliet's speech in 6th grade. Actual text here ;)
I was going to be a Lily. Today I was chatting with my friend Randy who has a daughter named Lily, and I mentioned this little tidbit. He asked why, so I gave him the scoop:
The previous 4 generations of women in my mom's family alternate between the names "Lillian Frances" and "Virginia." My mom's a Virginia, so I was in line to be a Lillian Frances. However, my mom decided to spice things up and name me "Courtney" after the 5th generation back: my great-great-grandmother, Ella Courtney Grandy. Ta-da!
While Juliet espouses that a name doesn't have to matter, I have found that my name does matter. I love learning about my namesake. My name has meaning, and I'm part of something larger than myself. Ella Courtney was a strong, fascinating woman and I hope to do her justice :)






1 comment:
Jeff and I are the only kids in our families not named after someone. Our parents "just liked the name." Booo. I made sure we named our kids after special people.
p.s. Romeo and Juliet is overrated. Yeah, I sad it!
Post a Comment