I went ice skating the other night. Skating and I don't typically get along very well. In high school, I worked as a YMCA camp counselor. One day it was raining and we couldn't take the kids to the pool, so someone decided we should go to a roller-skating rink instead. I was nervous to skate and so these little kids tried to help me out. After a while, I was slowing down the group, so most kids skated off and it was just me and a little girl. She held my hand and led me along. This went okay (not great, I assure you, just okay) until some big kid came by and accidentally caught my pint-sized partner's skate. She went down and I just kept rolling. I couldn't stop myself, and so I just called back to her over my shoulder as reassuringly as I could, "It's okay, honey. Just come on over here." So she got up and skated back to me as I continued to roll at .25 mph. She came on over and helped me off the rink so I could help her. Like I said, skating and I don't typically work out.
Last time I went ice skating, I definitely fell. And let me tell you, if I fall, I'm taking out whoever is with me. Sorry - it's instinct. So when I stepped out onto the ice on this time, I was a bit skittish. I was trying to move along, staying close to the wall, when a punk kid skates by me and says, "It's easier if you stay away from the wall." Thank you, Punk Kid. I'll get right on that. In reality though, I knew he was right. So I tried it a little bit, and then a little more. I made it through the night without a face plant and even managed to skate a little better. I also decided that Punk Kid is my new BFF.
I wonder how many other things are easier when we step away from the wall. When does relying on the safety net become a hindrance? Thank you, Punk Kid, for reminding me to step out and give it a go.
PS - Look for me skating at the next Olympics.
PPS - Not so much.






No comments:
Post a Comment