Hooray!! Project Crap (a.k.a the final project for my M.A. in English, concentration in American and British Literature) is over! The last few weeks have been pretty crazy (it's like I've been in a time warp with all-nighters, etc.), but as of yesterday, my final piece was approved! I still have to do a presentation on my research at a symposium Wednesday, but according to the director of my program, "the hard work is over. This should be relaxing and fun." Now, "relaxing" and "fun" are not two words that immediately come to my mind when preparing presentations, but I'm going with it!
My final piece is entitled, "Missing Mothers and Proxy Parents: Surrogacy in William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying." It has been a long trip (with unexpected detours) to get here, so I'm very excited to be finished and can't wait to hang my new diploma on the wall!
I'm now going to pretend like I'm giving a speech at an awards show: I want to thank everyone who has helped me out with this. First of all, I have the best advisor. Ever. He has been exceedingly understanding, supportive, helpful, and energizing. I honestly couldn't have done it without him. He's listened to my pain, frustration, and excitement and helped me in ways that go above and beyond the requirements of an advisor. I next need to thank my biggest cheerleader, my mom. She's wonderful, as I believe I have indicated previously in this venue. Thanks for listening to my boring ramblings about Faulkner and why he's difficult and wonderful all at the same time. Also, thanks for making me feel smart ;) Thanks go to my friends who have been so supportive of my endeavors. All the phone calls, texts, and 4am check-ins were so appreciated! I'm also grateful for a blessing I recieved when being set apart for my most recent calling. It helped in ways I wasn't expecting, so I'm thankful for the ways the Lord works, even when I don't fully understand them! And Bill (that's Mr. Faulkner, for those of you who don't know), I continue to be amazed.
If anyone wants to come gaze at the diploma when I get it, let me know. I'll also be happy to sign autographs ;)






3 comments:
I thought you finished your master a long time ago? Am i thinking of your BA?
Anyways...Congrats! That's awesome. I have yet to discover Bill, but I do have one of his books on my nightstand, waiting to be cracked open.
Hooray for you! Alvin (and I because we're "one") totally understand the pain that can come with graduate studies. I just taught a lesson today on Charity (Mor. 7) and we talked about enying not. So, I'm totally happy for you, and not one bit jealous. ;) We hope one day, sooner than later, to be able to show you his ("our") diploma. Good luck with all the final stuff. I hope it truly can be fun. You deserve it!
Tammy
Hooray!! Congratulations Courtney! Your Mom is definitely wonderful, I can totally vouche for her.
Post a Comment