My heart is not really into blogging right now. I considered putting up a post that said, "I won't be blogging until the new year." But I'm trying to plug away at life instead. "Trying" would be the operative word. I'm surprised by how high my stress levels continue to elevate. Just when I think "well this is it," I get another life surprise. Plus, my friend Elisia has this theory about how to deal with hardship, so I'm giving that a go. Basically, it's as follows: "Just because you choose to not dwell on your pain doesn't mean that your pain is any less valid. Sometimes we fall prey to thinking that for our feelings to be justified, we have to continue to feed them." I'm paraphrasing, but that's the idea.
This Sunday was our congregation's Christmas program. The music was beautiful. I was excited that the choir sung all my favorite carols. I was less excited that I had to speak, but that's okay. My topic was "Prophecies of Christ's Birth and How They Were Fulfilled." Brief summary: there were many prophecies about Christ's birth, and they were all fulfilled. Ta-da!
I thought I would share my favorite Christmas songs:
Traditional Category
1. O Holy Night. Not in the hymnbook, and that's a crime. I should start a petition to get it in.
2. What Child is This? Also not in the hymnbook. I see I now have 2 petitions to begin.
3. The First Noel, but the version with Pachebel's Canon in it. That sounded snobby.
Less-Traditional Category
1. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan. Love it!
2. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. Makes me feel like shopping.
3. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) by Alvin and the Chipmunks. My favorite part is Simon's "naturally" and Theodore's chuckle.
4. All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey. Guilty pleasure.
Least Favorites
1. So This is Christmas. It makes me feel like I'm watching one of those commercials about starving kids in Africa. Not that I'm against starving kids in Africa. I'm just against poorly done, overtly manipulative advertising. And since those commercials used to utilize this song, the association is firmly in place for me.
2. Anything with barking dogs.






2 comments:
I loved your summary of your talk, fabulous. You did a wonderful job by the way. Also, your Christmas song list is really great! and I would totally sign your petition.
ps-Thanks for being the first to fill out my little survey ;-) you are just too cute!
i love your selection of christmas songs... i agree with all your choices... the first noel to canon is def. better and i think that -god rest ye merry gentlemen- is my fav. right now!!
Post a Comment