11 May 2009

Take My Stuff. Please!

A few weeks ago, I helped my mom clean out her attic and have a yard sale. Valuable Lesson Relearned at Every Yard Sale: No one will pay as much for your stuff as you originally did.

A Few Favorite Finds from the Attic:

1. A 5" floppy disk of Quicken (trashed).
2. A time capsule I made when I was seven (saved).
3. A globe with the U.S.S.R. on it (first item sold of the day – ha!).

Most Popular Item Among Kids: A totally 80s gray and pink Le Clic camera. When I set it out that morning, I said that it would be a hit. Indeed, almost every kid that came by dropped to his or her knees and started playing with it. In the end, two little kids bought it and were so excited! Before I even looked up, I knew they were playing with it when I heard little voices saying, "Cheese!" They shyly brought me 50 cents and scurried off to play with their new toy. Super cute.

Most Popular Item Among Adults: An old bike. Go figure.

Most Popular Item Not for Sale: My old Little People dollhouse. I was going to sell it, but by the time I set it up, I couldn't part with it. I set it to the side and got a number of inquiries, but I selfishly stood firm.

Most Profitable Customer: An antiques dealer came by and got a bunch of stuff. Yes, my mom has good taste :)

Hardest Item to Move: A sleeper sofa. My mom recently remarked to my uncle about my lack of upper body strength. His matter-of-fact reply: "She can't help it." We laughed about that A LOT.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to part with the classic dollhouse!

Winters Wonderland said...

I am glad you saved the doll house to. They don't make things like they used to and little people things are classic. I am sure your kids will love it someday.

I need to be having a yard sale myself!

Also I Greg and I moved a sleeper sofa into our third floor apartment and I thought I was going to DIE - LOL. Those things are heavy beasts!

Post a Comment